These are difficult times for Europe and for the world, but despite everything, life goes on. And the LIFE programme is no exception, once again launching its annual call for project proposals for the environment and climate action sub-programmes.
Understanding that preparing proposals in this year’s call will be a challenge, the programme authorities have taken new measures to make it easier to apply:
- All submission deadlines are being extended by one month (from June to July and from September to October).
- Project ideas may be discussed with project advisors through one-to-one online meetings.
- All projects will be allowed to financially support local initiatives that do not have the capacity to act as associated beneficiaries: projects can grant financial support to third parties (e.g. NGOs, local authorities or citizen associations): 20 000 euros maximum per organization and up to 100 000 euros during the project.
- Innovation and marketing introduced by start-ups is encouraged. Partnerships that combine the knowledge and experience of established market players with start-ups that want to market their solution are valued.
- Private entities are no longer obliged to launch open tenders for contracts above 135 000 euros.
Additional measures are being considered and will be confirmed later (end of April) such as percentage of pre-financing payments during project implementation, payment schedules, depreciation and in-kind contributions.
In addition, applicants are invited to critically look at their project’s objectives and activities in order to detect any element that could help mitigate the effects of similar future crisis.
Other features of this 2020 call are:
- UK legal entities may participate (under the Withdrawal Agreement, art. 127 (6), 137 and 138).
- The budget in Climate Action is increased to € 74,1 M. The Environment sub-programme has € 238 M.
- The Climate Action sub-programme emphasizes the implementation of the European Green Deal and the European Climate Pact, as well as the incorporation of CO2 capture schemes in agricultural soils (carbon farming programs).
The indicative timeline for the evaluation and selection of proposals is as follows:
|DATE / PERIOD||ACTIVITY|
|14 July 2020||Deadline for submitting concept notes for the Environment and Resource Efficiency priority area|
|16 July 2020||Deadline for submitting concept notes for the Nature and Biodiversity priority area|
|6 October 2010||Deadline for submitting full proposals for the Climate Action sub-programme|
|October 2020||Notification of applicants if their concept note has been pre-selected|
|February 2021||Deadline for submitting full proposals for both the Environment and Resource Efficiency and the Nature and Biodiversity priority areas|
|February to June 2021||Evaluation and review of proposals|
|May to June 2021||Signature of grant agreements: Climate Action|
|July 2021||Signature of grant agreements: Environment and Resource Efficiency, Nature and Biodiversity|
|1 July 2021||Earliest start date: Climate Action|
|1 September 2021||Earliest start date: Environment and Resource Efficiency, Nature and Biodiversity|
If you are interested in the priority topics for projects, need help for preparing your proposal or want to present your idea to a Project advisor, contact us.